About Berry Street Church
The first church building on Berry Street erected in 1782, belonged to the Secession Antiburgher Presbyterian congregation in Belfast. When the congregation became too large they moved on and a new congregation moved in until it in turn became too large. The third congregation, with Rev Hugh Hanna, decided a new building was needed and in 1857 the original church was demolished and a new church opened on the site in 1858.
The congregation then became the largest in Belfast with over 800 families. In 1869 they moved to a larger building again, and Belfast City Mission moved in to Berry Street church in 1876. There, it had a long and significant history in Irish Presbyterianism but sadly ceased in 2017. A new church in the building, Centre Church Belfast, will be launched in September 2018.
Berry Street Church